Japanese Culture and Language Program at Keiwa College
Keiwa College hosts students every summer for an intensive two-week program: the Japanese Culture and Language Program (JCLP). Beside Japanese language lessons, participants have numerous opportunities to interact with Japanese students and local people through a wide range of cross-cultural activities. Participants will enjoy a well-rounded cultural experience in a remote part of Japan that most tourists never get to see. If you compare the JCLP to other programs of this type, you will recognize that the JCLP offers a special experience.
2019 Program Information
Date: June 6-June 19, 2019 (14 days)
Place: Keiwa College (Shibata-City, Niigata-prefecture, Japan)
Number of Students: Minimum of 3, Maximum of 15
1) Anyone who is strongly interested in Japanese culture and language.
2) Aged 18 or older, preferably a student. If not, we might still accept your attendance, but we need to discuss this matter together.
3) No serious physical or mental health problems that may interfere with participating in the program.
4) All levels of Japanese ability are accepted. It is helpful if you have a good command of English.
5) Any experience living abroad or in Japan is accepted.
6) We welcome students of all ethnic and religious backgrounds and genders.
7) Cost: 150,000 yen (includes room, tuition, official fieldtrips and study materials).
To apply: Click on the link below to download a printable form. Clearly type or print your answer to each question in the form in English or Japanese. Then email, fax, or post it to Keiwa College.
Submission Deadline: April 5, 2019
Notification of Admission: We will email you by April 11, 2019. If you do not receive our mail by that date, contact us.
Payment Deadline: All fees must be paid by April 5, 2019.
Should we need to cancel the program, we will refund all of your participation fee. Please reserve your airline tickets after you receive our mail of acceptance on April 11.
Our Program in a Nutshell
1. Japanese culture and language classes as well as field trips with bilingual speakers of Japanese and English. It is not necessary to be fluent in Japanese to get the most out of all of the exciting and educational activities.
2. An off-the-tourist-track location with clean air and pleasant, safe surroundings. Rural Niigata retains the traditional charm that has been lost in Japan’s major urban areas.
3. Active involvement in college campus life (club, sports, karaoke, after-class activities, or just hanging out with Japanese students) at a small, friendly Japanese university. We design the program to bring JCLP students into contact with Keiwa College students.
4. Housing in an apartment hotel located close to Niigata Station: A room is conveniently equipped with a microwave and a refrigerator. Wi-Fi is available for a fee in your apartment.
5. On Keiwa campus, you will receive a Keiwa College Wi-Fi access code so you can use Wi-Fi. Your hotel, however, will not supply free Wi-Fi. If you like to use internet off campus, it would be a good idea to have a rental mobile Wi-Fi. These are available at airports in your country.
6. Low number of participants (maximum 15). All of the JCLP students get to know each other and enjoy activities as a group.
7. Weekend homestay with a Japanese family. There is no better way to deepen the experience of living in Japan.
8. Professional staff: Study with trained Japanese Language teachers and enjoy presentations made by college professors and others with expertise in various fields.
9. Reasonable fees (please compare). The total cost of 150,000 yen comes to 10,000 yen a day (including room, tuition, housing, field trips, Japanese textbooks and other materials).
1270 Tomizuka, Shibata City
Niigata Pref. 957-8585, Japan
By e-mail: email@example.com
By telephone: (81)254-26-3636
By fax: (81)254-26-3646