Japanese Culture and Language Program at Keiwa College
Keiwa College hosts students every summer for an intensive two-week program: the Japanese Culture and Language Program (JCLP). Beside Japanese language lessons, participants have numerous opportunities to interact with Japanese students and local people through a wide range of cross-cultural activities. Participants will enjoy a well-rounded cultural experience in a remote part of Japan that most tourists never get to see. If you compare the JCLP to other programs of this type, you will recognize that the JCLP offers a special experience.
2018 Program Information
Date: June 7-June 21, 2017 (15 days)
Place: Keiwa College (Shibata-City, Niigata-prefecture, Japan)
Number of Students: Minimum of 8, Maximum of 15
1) A non-Japanese person who is strongly interested in Japanese culture and language.
2) Aged 18 or older, preferably a student. If not, we might still accept your attendance, but we need to discuss this matter together.
3) No serious physical or mental health problems that may interfere with participating in the program.
4) All levels of Japanese ability are accepted. It is helpful if you have a good command of English.
5) Any experience living abroad or in Japan is accepted.
6) We welcome students of all racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds.
Cost: 150,000 yen (includes room, tuition, field trips, texts, other materials, and meals during fieldtrips and other events).
To apply: Click on the link below to download a printable form. Clearly type or print your answer to each question in the form in English or Japanese. Then email, fax, or post it to Keiwa College.
Submission Deadline: April 2, 2018
Notification of Admission: We will email you by April 6, 2018. If you do not receive our mail by that date, contact us.
Payment Deadline: All fees must be paid by April 2, 2018.
Should we need to cancel the program, we will refund all the amount of your participation fee. Please reserve your airline tickets after you receive our mail of acceptance on April 6.
Our Program in a Nutshell
1. Japanese culture and language classes, as well as field trips with bilingual speakers of Japanese and English. It is not necessary to be fluent in Japanese to get the most out of all of the activities.
2. A location in a part of Japan with clean air and pleasant, safe surroundings that are off the tourist track. Rural Niigata retains the traditional charm that has been lost in Japan’s major urban areas.
3. Active involvement in college campus life (club, sports, karaoke, after-class activities, or just hanging out with Japanese students) at a small, friendly Japanese university. We design the program to bring JCLP students into contact with Keiwa College students.
4. Housing in a hotel located close to Niigata Station: A room is conveniently equipped with a microwave and a refrigerator. Wi-Fi is available at a charge in the apartment.
5. On Keiwa campus, you will receive a Keiwa College Wi-Fi access code so you can use Wi-Fi. Your hotel, however, will not supply free Wi-Fi. If you like to use internet off campus, it would be a good idea to have a rental mobile Wi-Fi. These are available at airports in your country.
6. Low number of participants (maximum 15). All of the JCLP students get to know each other and enjoy activities as a group.
7. Weekend homestay with a Japanese family. There is no better way to deepen the experience of living in Japan.
8. Professional staff: Study with trained Japanese Language teachers and enjoy presentations made by college professors and others with expertise in various fields.
9. Reasonable fees (please compare). The total cost of 150,000 yen comes to 10,000 yen a day (including room, tuition, housing, field trips, meals during field trips, study texts and other materials).
1270 Tomizuka Shibata City
Niigata Pref. 957-8585
By e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
By telephone: (81)254-26-3636
By fax: (81)254-26-3646